Coaches Code of Conduct (2023)
As a Coach of SAMBA, I agree to the following Code of Conduct:
1. I will treat all players and opposing coaches with respect, being positive and constructive at all times. I will not use abusive language or actions and will control my anger at all times. I will insist that all parents, coaches, players, and fans associated with my team follow my example.
2. I will treat all umpires with respect, recognizing that they are volunteers or young adults, and that baseball rules involve judgment. If I have complaints, I will use the appropriate methods of appeal during the game and avoid confrontational behavior on the field. After the game I may choose to go through the proper channels for resolution.
3. I will promote sportsmanlike conduct, shaking hands with the opposing coach after each game, encouraging my team members to cheer positively, and shake hands with the other team in a sportsmanlike manner after the game. I will not tolerate negative cheering, trash-talking, or displays of anger or disrespect by my team.
4. I will continuously improve my baseball coaching skill by keeping informed about sound principles of coaching, growth and development principles relating to children. I will attend coaching clinics to the best of my ability.
5. I will stress to the players and parents the importance of leaving each other, each dugout, each ballpark, each tournament site, and each situation in better shape than we found them.
6. I will monitor the behavior of my teamâ€™s parents in the stands and will take action as necessary to ensure proper conduct.
7. I will conduct regular practices that will be used to teach sound baseball fundamentals, while being fun for all involved. I will be patient and remember that players improve at different rates.
8. I will ensure all players are instructed on safety. I will check the equipment and facilities that we use to ensure they meet safety standards and are appropriate for the age and ability of my players. I will have a first aid kit on hand whenever my team is together.
9. I will not seek to manipulate drafts, tryouts, or SAMBA rules to achieve an unfair advantage for my team. I will respect the confidentiality of the player evaluation scores.
10. I will remember that the game is for the players. I will stress to my players that they must abide by the rules of the game at all times.
11. At the conclusion of the baseball season, I will return all equipment to SAMBA in a timely manner.
12. I will be drug and alcohol free while at any of my teamâ€™s games and/or practices. I will not use any tobacco products in the dugout or on the playing field.